You have found the perfect home!
Now that you have found a great home, and negotiated your offer you'll want to make sure your future home doesn't need major repairs or have other costly issues that you might not know about yet. Not to mention you'll want to know what maintenance will be needed to keep it in good shape. That's where the home inspection comes in!
Some Things to Keep in Mind about Home Inspections in Des Moines:
- Typically performed within 7 to 10 days of getting your offer accepted.
Most inspections are a buyers expense. (Septic and Termite are the exceptions in Des Moines.)
Costs for a "General, Whole House" Inspection Range from $250 to $400 before any additional inspections.
- Takes approximately two hours to perform.
- Buyers are encouraged to be present during the inspection to ask questions and discuss concerns.
- Some inspectors offer inspection re-caps, which reduce the time commitment on the buyers part to approximately 30 minutes.
Written reports of the inspectors findings are usually available at the end of the inspection or later in the day, and are often 12 to 14 pages or more.
How to choose a qualified home inspector?
It is important that a buyer be very satisfied with both the quality of the inspection as well as the experience and approach of the particular inspector being used. It is recomended that a buyer do their research to make sure they know who they are hiring, and what services they want performed. Inspectors are typically happy to have a conversation with a home buyer about their services and approach before scheduling an inspection.
Some other things to think about when choosing an inspector:
- Home inspectors are not licensed in Iowa, so anyone can become an inspector!
- Inspectors who are a member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors) have usually received specialized training and have taken an oath to conduct inspections in accordance with the ASHI Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics, which prohibits engaging in conflict-of-interest activities that might compromise their objectivity.
- Most inspectors affiliated with a national franchise have undergone strict training and carry proper insurance in case a mistake is made.
Other areas of concern.
Sometimes a buyer may have other concerns that would typically not be addressed in a "General Whole House" Inspection that require specialized knowledge or may be able to be addressed by the general inspector through add-on inspections.
Additional inspection areas a buyer may want to consider may include, but are not limited to:
- Radon Gas.
- Lead Paint.
- Septic Inspection (Typically a sellers expense in Des Moines, and required by State Law).
- Sewer Line Inspection (With a specialized camera).
- Mold Inspections.
- Termite Inspection (Typically a sellers expense in Des Moines, and required for lender purchases).
- Thermal imaging, to identify energy efficency or moisture issues.
Home Inspection Companies in the Metro Des Moines Iowa Area
Following is a few local inspection companies to assist you, but as a starting point only. Additional home inspectors can be found by looking in the yellow pages, or by searching online at sources such as ASHI's "Locate an Inspector" page. Friends, neighbors and work associates are often an excellent way to find out who others used and what their experience was like.
Whomever you choose, it is recommended that you call to discuss your needs with the inspector as part of your decision making prcess.
Pillar To Post of Des Moines
Kevin Nelson, Owner (Locally Owned)
Services: General Inspections, New Construction, Radon, Onsite reports,
Inspection "re-caps" (to reduce buyers time commitment at the inspection, more.)
Phone: (515) 331-0787
Online: Pillar To Post, Des Moines or www.PillarToPost.com
Email: Kevin Nelson, Pillar To Post, Des Moines.
The BrickKicker of Des Moines
Mike Le Blanc, Owner (Locally Owned)
Services: General Inspections, New Construction, Radon, Environmental issues,
Synthetic Stucco, Thermal Imaging Camera, Natural gas & Carbon monoxide, more.
Phone: (515) 965-7795
Online: BrickKicker, Des Moines or www.BrickKicker.com
Amerispec of Des Moines
Services: General Inspections, New Construction, Radon, Mold testing,
Pool, Synthetic Stucco, Natural gas & Carbon monoxide, more.
Phone: (515) 288-8820
Online: Amerispec, Des Moines or www.Amerispec.com
National Property Inspections
Hugh Meade, Owner
Services: Thermal Imaging, Radon, General Home Inspections
Phone: (515) 991-9167